Free I/N Bridge Boot Camp
Pacific Southwest Regional April 14-20, 2014
By Maritha Pottenger, San Diego, California
For intermediate and newcomer players, there are numerous free educational offerings at the San Diego aRegional, April 14-20 at the Town & Country Resort. The program is presented by District 22's I/N Teacher/Coordinator Maritha Pottenger. The week's offerings include:
1. FREE Monday Reception for I/N players with homemade cookies (by Maritha) and a free two-hour lesson (late morning to early afternoon). New players can meet and greet each other and get lots of great information about bridge.
2. FREE Opportunity to play with a Mentor! Sign up online for a chance to play with a Silver Life Master and above – first come, first served. This will help advancing players improve their games. Many excellent players have agreed to play one sessions with a non-life master and provide helpful feedback. Check online: pacificsouthwestregional.com – click on the mentor button and follow instructions.
3. FREE "Ask An Expert" table with people available after the morning and afternoon sessions to answer your questions about bidding, play, and defense. Available Tuesday through Saturday.
4. FREE "Test Your Play" hands with Maritha at the "Ask An Expert" table every morning.8:30 -9:15 a.m., Tuesday through Saturday. You can try your hand at end plays, avoidance, entry issues, and more.
5. FREE classes with local teachers, every morning, Tuesday through Saturday, from 9:30-10:15 a.m. Lots of valuable bridge tips, examples, handouts and more. The tournament daily bulletin will list topics and bios of the teachers presenting.
6. FREE classes with bridge celebrities between sessions, every Tuesday through Saturday. Check the bulletins for topics and bios of the celebrity speakers each day.
7. FREE Bridge Handouts. Maritha has a notebook of about 200 handouts on various bridge topics. Most are one page. You can look through them and ask for any you want. Maritha will e-mail you copies after the tournament ends. Maritha's notebook will live at the "Ask An Expert" table during the tournament.
8. FREE Wrap Up and Review. Often Maritha and other local teachers go over hands during dinner at the hotel. Feel free to join in the discussions (or just "lurk" and see what you can learn!)